History

church cropped-stone2

During the years following the Civil War, the people of northern Bedford County responded to God’s leadership to establish churches in that area. As a result, area Baptists, Methodists, and Episcopalians formed Ivy Chapel Union Church. The Baptist congregation, formed in 1880, was known as Ivy Creek Baptist Church and became a member of the Strawberry Baptist Association the following year.

In July 1893, the Baptists met for the first time in their “new house of worship,” which was built on an acre of land they had purchased nearby for fifteen dollars. In March 1899, the church first adopted a constitution, bylaws, declaration of faith, and church covenant, and then changed their name to North Bedford Baptist Church.

Basically, the building remained unchanged until 1951 when three Sunday School rooms were added to the rear. In 1966, the building underwent major renovations and the new work was dedicated that fall at the first recorded Homecoming service. During the 1970s, additional land was purchased and three additions to the original building were completed. The addition in 1978-79 more than doubled the space available for worship and education.

During the 1990s, more space was needed and construction in ’92 added more Sunday School space and a new fellowship hall. The entrance was remodeled and a sound room installed in 1995. The following year, a choir loft, baptistry, church office, and additional Sunday School space were added. The upper part of the original building was replaced in 1997.

The building stands today in sharp contrast to its humble origins, but has retained its original “small country church” spirit. It provides a facility that is currently adequate for our growing congregation. It is here that we respond to the challenge to minister to an ever-changing community as we have for over one hundred and twenty-five years.

Our church has also experienced change in other ways in the past few years. Reverend Charles L. Stinson, our Pastor for over thirty-one years, retired in 2005. Through a couple of interim pastors and the two-year pastorship of Reverend Calvin Sacra , we are now being lead by Pastor Charles “Chad” Brady. We are proud of our heritage and confident of our future as we serve an unchanging God. To Him be the Glory!